I saw this phrase on a bumper sticker today and it evoked the question “Am I socially outraged enough?” The answer: Hell yeah!!!
Here are a few things I’m outraged about (and am taking action on):
- I’m outraged that there has been so much loss of life in Iraq. See this and this. Whether you think this is a justified situation or not, this type of loss of life just shouldn’t be. Utopian thinking? Doesn’t matter. This shouldn’t be.
- I’m outraged that many American school teachers need government assistance to support themselves & their families because the same government pays them just above minimum wage and still expects them to be well enough educated to educate our young people.
- I’m outraged that countless women in the eastern Congo are brutally raped, beaten and/or murdered every day, have next to zero support or protection to fall back on and nobody seems to be paying attention. See this.
- I’m outraged that my fear is coming true that the prairie dog colony I’ve been protecting is in fact becoming unnaturally out of balance since the wildlife up the food chain have been chased off by irresponsible land development.
- I’m outraged that adequate monitoring of greyhound racing kennel practices is not in place to prevent irresponsible breeding and unimagineable neglect of greyhounds. Not all greyhound racing kennels are evil, but enough are.
The above might sound negative to some people and it’s certainly a bummer to think about things like this, but I believe good things often come out of being outraged and taking action on those feelings. Not being socially responsible by not taking action because one thinks they can’t make a difference is…